Sunday, August 15, 2010

This Sinners Prayer

Most of us, who have come to terms with our past and current condition, have all had the option of making an appearance before the Almighty. After an inventory of our spiritual hygiene and the potential outcome of future considerations we arrive at the proverbial fork in the road. At this point we are literally forced to choose a path which will ultimately take us into eternity. An atheist may say that he doesn’t believe in God or the eternal scenario but in the end there is no such thing as an atheist. I can’t believe I ate that much; It’s unbelievable how high the taxes are and I believe I’ll have another beer. These are a few of the deniably undeniable belief-isms that are utilized when choosing not to accept the simple terms laid down by a loving God. Since these excuses are not in the best interest of decision makers, let’s see where the other road goes.

After a suitable time in the parking lot of the last truck stop one becomes aware that it is time to do something with the day ahead. Since we know that alcohol, drugs and whores are not just for breakfast anymore, some of us had to actually deposit our serious iniquities in the dumpster before moving on. Others who have no such history often assume that they don’t have far to go so may take advantage of sleeping till noon and then lollygagging in the gift shop. I have an overabundance of comparisons but such is life especially when it comes to being overloaded and asking for directions. Once we realize that we don’t know where we’re going it becomes easier to inquire as to a recommended route to somewhere other than here.

In my case, I came to the negotiating table without a clue or an excuse for my proir ignorant assumptions. At the time I didn’t think that I was conceited but thought that I had good reason to be. At first my certifiably foolish interviews with the Lord and the subsequent following meetings consisted of a little Bible knowledge and plenty of good presupposed notions about everything else. I wasn’t all that sure that I wanted anything to do with God in the first place and it never occurred to me that Him having anything to do with me was not necessarily in His best interest. I remember thinking that if I’m going to attend this party I want to make sure from the start that I’m on the right train and that it’s going in the right direction. I didn’t linger long in researching through the Big Book of World Religions to come to a conclusion but I did have the presence of mind to realize that there is in fact not many ways to get to heaven. Once that observation was solidified in my thinking then the next step was obvious. I must approach my maker on His terms before I die. In due time my resolve was broken down and I found myself in an old fashioned Pentecostal church.

I don’t remember the day or the hour. I don’t recall the name of the preacher who was speaking or what he was talking about. He could have been quoting from a JC Penny’s Catalog for all I know but I do know that I was onto the most awesome experience that I’ve ever encountered. My life was poured out like water and I wasn’t coached to repeat a manufactured off the rack prewritten statement. What I did say was something in the order of; Lord, forgive me, I am a sinner. Nothing was the same after that and I found Jesus to be the same everyday thereafter. He is not now nor has He ever been in the repetitious sinner’s prayer business. If you’re seeing a Y sign ahead and you are navigationally impaired, I suggest that you keep your questions simple and your response genuine as you accept your directional disabilities and change course. Keep your mind and heart inside the faith at all times until the journey has come to a full and complete stop.

T. LaVigne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Count Your Blessings & Thank You